WHEW. We’re only in the second quarter of 2020 and already the COVID-19 pandemic has turned our lives completely upside down! Serious concerns about public health and the need to mitigate the spread of this dangerous disease has led to national, regional and city decrees to stay home. As a result, armchair travel, the art of exploring the world from the comfort of your own couch, is experiencing a powerful rebirth.
Previously perceived as an activity mostly reserved for sedentary individuals, that’s no longer the case. Virtual vacations are now all the rage because they’ve become a lifeline for gloomy travelers practicing self-quarantining and social distancing for the greater good of themselves and mankind. Of course, nothing beats a real-life destination experience. But with technology and ingenuity, there are still fun ways to cure your wanderlust while you shelter-in-place.
Miffed you had to cancel your last trip? Here are 11 ways to armchair travel your way out of your current travel slump:
1. Sharpen your language skills.
2. Read a bunch of travel-themed books to inspire your next trip.
3.Join a live cooking demo to learn about regional or global cuisines.
For example, you can head over to @travelsaintlucia for an Instagram LIVE class every Tuesday and Thursday.
4. Take a virtual tour of your fave museum, theme park or zoo.
Are there any museum lovers out there? If so, this is your happy time! Google Arts and Culture has partnered with 500+ museums and galleries to bring you multiple exhibits.
5. Get crafty with destination keepsakes (like seashells).
6. Explore different regions of the world through dance.
7. Binge watch your favorite travel movies or television shows.
8. Picture yourself on a bike in a nature park.
9. Check out live beach cams or wildlife scenes for blissful mental escapes.
10. Try out cocktail recipes and reminisce about the great travel stories that accompany them.
11. Listen to some podcasts to keep the travel hunger burning.
For Travel + Leisure recommendations: Click here.
For Travelnoire recommendations: Click here.
How do you cope? By creating a diverse global music playlist, putting in ear buds, and blocking out all the anxiety-inducing news? Drop your tips below.